If your exam is within the Brightspace Quiz tool – use Honorlock
If your exam is at a third party site – use Honorlock Universal
Honorlock is an online proctoring solution offered by Pellissippi State Community College. Honorlock records the exam session allowing students to test at their convenience. Honorlock is completely on-demand so students can log in to take their exam at any time of the day. Exam incidents will be reported back to PSTCC faculty. Honorlock does not require students to download any software or create any logins.
Honorlock features include:
- – No scheduling appointments
- – No software to install
- – 24/7 support for faculty and students
- – On-Demand
- – No additional logins
- – Patented mobile-device prevention technology
How to use Honorlock:
If you would like more information about using Honorlock in your online course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or refer to the below user guides for D2L.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Below are some frequently asked questions that we recommend adding to your website.
What do I need to know before taking my exam?
Ensure your computer is charged and has a strong internet connection. You can check your system at honorlock.com/support. Make sure to use Google Chrome when you log in to take your test. We recommend students take their exam in a quiet private location to limit potential flags and distractions.
Why do I need a photo ID? What forms of ID are acceptable?
We verify the photo and name on your ID to ensure you are the correct test taker. You can use any government issued (i.e. driver license, passport) or a student ID that has your photo.
What if something goes wrong during my exam?
Don’t worry, Honorlock offers technical support 24/7 to assist students before, during, and after their proctored tests. If you need any assistance, contact our support agents by phone or live chat. The support line for students is – (844) 243-2500.
Why am I being prompted for an access code?
What is the Honorlock Chrome browser extension?
The Honorlock extension is a small program that modifies the Chrome web browser and not your computer. Nothing is installed on the computer. Students can remove the Honorlock Chrome extension as soon as their exam is submitted.
What equipment is needed?
You will need to have a working webcam, microphone, and either a laptop or desktop computer. Integrated or external USB will both work.
How is my privacy protected?
Honorlock is FERPA compliant and uses securely encrypted protocols to save and view all test taker assets. Honorlock’s certified proctors and your institution’s faculty are able to review test session videos until deleted based on the school’s retention policy.
What about accessibility and students with special needs?
Honorlock is VPAT certified and fully accessible to students with special needs. Additionally, Honorlock works with screen readers if needed.
Does Honorlock determine who is cheating?
No. Honorlock simply reports back possible incidents. Ultimately, your instructor determines if cheating occurred by viewing the video recording.
User Guides and Video Tutorials:
Below are some helpful video tutorials and PDF guides for your faculty and students as well as some important reminders for your faculty when setting up Honorlock.
For Your Faculty:
- Honorlock Faculty Guide (instructions on how to enable Honorlock)
- Honorlock D2L Video (instructor how-to video tutorial on Honorlock)
- Honorlock Testing Guidelines (standard testing guidelines)
- Honorlock Universal Setup (instructor how-to video tutorial on Honorlock Universal)
For faculty support inquiries, the best method of contact is to email us at email@example.com. There is also a live-chat option in the Honorlock LTI or you can contact our support line at – 844-243-2500.
For Your Students:
- Honorlock Student Guide (the same guide that is in D2L when they begin the exam)
- Honorlock Video for your Students (demo video to send to your students)
- Honorlock Universal Video (student how-to video tutorial on Honorlock Universal)
- Proper Room Scan (shows students how to complete a proper room scan)
- honorlock.com/support (students can test their system here and contact support)
- GoogleChrome- Students are required to use Google Chrome.
- AccessCode- Honorlock automatically creates a new access code for the exam once proctoring is enabled. Faculty should not delete or alter this access code. This is how we prevent students from getting into the exam without using Honorlock.
- BrowserGuard– Students will not be able to open new tabs or access applications with Browser Guard enabled. Only use Browser Guard if there is no use case for your students to be able to access anything outside of their exam in D2L.
- White-Listing- This feature allows faculty to white-list specific URL’s so that students can only access these URL’s and no other URL’s.
- PracticeQuiz- Enable a practice quiz in your course so your students can test out their software before they take a real exam.
- ExamGuidelines- We recommend sending your exam guidelines to your students in addition to adding them when you enable Honorlock. This can be sent through D2L, added in the course description, and included in the syllabus. The more places you put the guidelines the better.
- 24/7Support- Honorlock offers 24/7 support. Encourage your students to reach out to us during the exam if they have any questions. They can also visit honorlock.com/support prior to their exam to test out their software or send us a live-chat if they have any questions/concerns prior to starting their exam. Students that are experiencing technical issues should not reach out to their instructors, they should contact Honorlock first. Our support team has a 98% first-contact resolution rate.
Recommended Syllabus Verbiage:
Honorlock recommends instructors dedicate a section in your syllabus to Honorlock so your students are prepared. Below is our recommended verbiage. Feel free to alter our verbiage if necessary:
“Honorlock will proctor your exams this semester. Honorlock is an online proctoring service that allows you to take your exam from the comfort of your home. You DO NOT need to create an account, download software or schedule an appointment in advance. Honorlock is available 24/7 and all that is needed is a computer, a working webcam, and a stable Internet connection.
To get started, you will need Google Chrome and to download the Honorlock Chrome Extension. You can download the extension at www.honorlock.com/extension/install.
When you are ready to test, log into D2L, go to your course, and click on your exam. Clicking “Launch Proctoring” will begin the Honorlock authentication process, where you will take a picture of yourself, show your ID, and complete a scan of your room. Honorlock will be recording your exam session by webcam as well as recording your screen. Honorlock also has an integrity algorithm that can detect search-engine use, so please do not attempt to search for answers, even if it’s on a secondary device.
Good luck! Honorlock support is available 24/7/365. If you encounter any issues, you may contact them by live chat, phone (844-243-2500), and/or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you encounter issues with D2L, you may contact Your School’s Online Support Services team at their number.”
That’s it! You are now ready to protect academic integrity in your online courses using Honorlock! We look forward to partnering with Pellissippi State Community College.
If you have any questions, please contact:
- Americo Stellato, Sr. Customer Success Manager