If your exam is within the Brightspace Quiz tool – use Honorlock
If your exam is at a third party site – use Honorlock Universal
Honorlock is an online proctoring solution offered by Pellissippi State Community College. Honorlock records the exam session allowing students to test at their convenience. Honorlock is completely on-demand so students can log in to take their exam at any time of the day. Exam incidents will be reported back to PSTCC faculty. Honorlock does not require students to install any software or create any logins.
Honorlock features include:
- – No scheduling appointments required
- – No software to install
- – 24/7 support for faculty and students
- – On-Demand proctoring
- – No additional logins
- – Patented mobile-device prevention technology
Download the Chrome Extension
Prior to starting your first exam that is proctored by Honorlock, you will need to download the Honorlock Google Chrome extension (you should only need to complete this process once each time you use a computer to take an exam). Note: You can only use the Google Chrome browser to take exams that are proctored by Honorlock.
- Open a course site that is using Honorlock. Click the Honorlock toolbar link.
- You will see the Honorlock Chrome Extension window. Check the “I agree…” box and click the blue Get Started button.
- A tab with the Chrome Web Store will appear. Click the blue Add to Chrome button.
- Click the Add extension button. You will receive a confirmation message that the extension has been added. You are now ready to take exams that are proctored using Honorlock.
Honorlock Minimum System Requirements
Beginning July 1, 2020, Honorlock is updating their Minimum System Requirements and will no longer support Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Mac OSX 10.11, or Mac OSX 10.12. After July 1, you can find the updated Minimum System Requirements, as well as a system compatibility test, at Honorlock’s support page.
You will need to ensure that you have the following resources on-hand prior to starting an exam:
- Government issued photo ID (or Student photo ID).
- Working web camera and microphone
- Stable internet connection.
- Google Chrome browser (ensure pop-up blocker has been disabled)
- Any additional resources allowed by your instructor, such as scratch paper or a calculator
Honorlock Student Guides:
- Honorlock Student Guide – D2L (pdf)
- How to use Honorlock (D2L Student Guide)
- Honorlock Universal – Student (D2L) (This is for exams outside Brightspace)
- How to complete a Room Scan (D2L)
Protect Your Privacy
Here are a couple of simple actions you can take to further protect your privacy:
- If possible, when taking your test, select a simply decorated room.
- Use your Pellissippi ID rather than your driver’s license or government ID. If you need to use a government issued ID you can cover information such as license number and address. All your instructor needs to see is your name and picture.
- Remember, only your instructor will review your testing session, no one else will see the recording.
- Student Privacy information from Honorlock
Dr. Paul Ramp, Director
Pellissippi State Community College is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnic or national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a covered veteran, or genetic information in its programs and activities.
View the Non-Discrimination Policy/Website Accessibility.
For questions or concerns, please contact Annazette Houston, Executive Director of Equity and Compliance.