If you don’t have a Pellissippi Student ID, visit Student ID cards to request one online.
Online Proctoring with Proctorio
Proctorio is a remote proctoring service used with some classes when you take quizzes and exams in Brightspace. Proctorio may record your webcam, your screen, your audio or other actions during the exam session and share that information with your instructor.
Students can install and use Proctorio on their own computers for no extra charge. Proctorio requires you to:
- Use Google Chrome. No other web browser will work. (link to download and install Chrome browser)
- Use a desktop or laptop computer with a stable internet connection. You cannot take the exams from mobile devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad, Android device, tablets, etc).
Proctorio features include:
- – No scheduling appointments required
- – No software to install (only needs Chrome extension)
- – 24/7 support for faculty and students
- – On-Demand proctoring
- – No additional logins
Proctorio Student Guides:
- Brightspace Getting Started Guide
- Mac User Guide
- Troubleshooting Guide
- Privacy Flyer
- Data Security Flyer
- Data Processing Flyer
- Browser Permissions Flyer
How Proctorio Works
Proctorio is a downloadable extension for your Google Chrome web browser. Once installed, Proctorio is active when you log in to an exam in Brightspace that requires Proctorio for completion. It is deactivated when you log out of the Brightspace exam.
During the exam, the application monitors your movements and sends your video and other data to your instructor for review. Proctorio will flag activity that might not be allowed, in accordance with the exam settings that your instructor requires. Your instructor will then be able to review the video and data to decide if any action is necessary regarding questions of academic integrity during the exam.
Testing with Proctorio
- You will need to use a computer (Windows/Mac computer or laptop)
- You cannot take the exams from mobile devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad, Android device, etc)
- You will need internet access
- You will need to use the Google Chrome browser
- You may need a webcam and microphone (depending on the options your instructor has selected)
- You must use the Google Chrome web browser & the Proctorio Extension
- Install the Proctorio extension (Links to an external site.) for Google Chrome. It takes less than 30 seconds. The exam that requires Proctorio will usually prompt you to install the extension if you need it.
- No other browser extensions may be in use (example: Evernote). This is intentional as allowing access to other tools breaks the integrity of the exam.
- Have your Pellissippi ID card available
- You may be be asked to hold up your Pellissippi ID to prove you are the test taker. (How to obtain your Pellissippi ID)
- Be ready for room scans
- Proctorio may ask you to do a room scan by turning your web camera in a 360 degree pan to look at the room. Proctorio may ask more than once if the program hears noises – the application is ensuring there is no one else in the room.
- Navigate to your test in Brightspace and select to begin, Proctorio will start automatically
- Before your exam begins, you will be taken through a series of pre-checks. These willestablish and verify your internet connection, operating system, camera & microphone.
- You may also be asked for permission for camera and microphone access. You must click allow to continue.
- Depending on the pre-checks that your instructor has selected, you may also be required to show your student or government issued ID.
- During the pre-checks you may be asked to share your screen. The “share” button will be disabled until you click on the screen you want to share.
Necessary Resources when preparing to take your proctored assignment
You will need to ensure that you have the following resources on-hand prior to starting an exam:
- Student Pellissippi ID
- Working web camera and microphone
- Stable internet connection.
- Google Chrome browser (ensure pop-up blocker has been disabled)
- Any additional resources allowed by your instructor, such as scratch paper or a calculator
Protect Your Privacy
Here are a couple of simple actions you can take to further protect your privacy:
- If possible, when taking your test, select a simply decorated room.
- Use your Pellissippi ID rather than your driver’s license or government ID. If you need to use a government issued ID you can cover information such as license number and address. All your instructor needs to see is your name and picture.
- Remember, only your instructor will review your testing session, no one else will see the recording.
- Student Privacy information from Proctorio
- How Proctorio complies with FERPA
Dr. Paul Ramp, Director
Pellissippi State Community College is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnic or national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a covered veteran, or genetic information in its programs and activities.
View the Non-Discrimination Policy/Website Accessibility.
For questions or concerns, please contact Annazette Houston, Executive Director of Equity and Compliance.