Release Notes for D2L Brightspace Updates Coming in August
Assignments, ePortfolio, Checklists, Email, Portfolio, Grades, Question Library, Quizzes,
Assignments – Additional functionality in the new assignment creation experience | Updated
Building on the functionality added to the new create and edit assignment experience in the July 2020/20.20.7 release, you can now do the following:
- Attach release conditions to an assignment
- Align learning outcomes to an assignment from the Learning Outcomes tool
- When multiple rubrics are attached to an assignment, select a default scoring rubric to be used when scoring an assignment / evaluating a learner
Assignments – Copy assignment option | New
This feature adds the ability to copy existing assignments. Instructors with the existing permission Add/Edit Assignment Submission Folders can select the Copy Assignment option in the drop-down menu for an existing assignment to quickly create new assignments. This feature copies all settings of an existing assignment except the associated grade item and Turnitin settings.
Brightspace Portfolio – Improvements to instructor and learner views | Updated
This feature was originally released for Brightspace Portfolio in July 2020/20.20.7. This update includes compact evidence tiles in learner portfolios, consistent with the look of compact learner portfolio tiles. By reducing the size of evidence tiles, instructors and learners can now view more evidence in a learner’s portfolio. In addition, when you hover over the Shared With Parents, Feedback Provided, Categorized, and Spotlighted icons on an evidence tile, a tool tip appears.
Checklists – Copy a checklist | New
Instructors can now perform copy actions for checklists. You can copy a whole checklist, a checklist category (including all items within it), or individual items in a checklist.
Email – Interface improvements and enhanced filtering option | New
Email now features the following enhancements for improved usability:
- The Compose Email screen now includes a second Send button for enhanced usability.
- The Email Inbox is redesigned to display the Search Options area to the left of the screen. As well, the Advanced Search Options feature of the Inbox now enables filtering by Read and Unread messages.
Grades – Unrelease all final grades | New
Grades features a new workflow to quickly undo the release of final grades for a course. Instructors can easily select Unrelease All from the Final Grades drop-down menu.
Notifications – Deleted content links to message | New
Notifications for content that is subsequently hidden/deleted/conditionally released are now removed from the Brightspace notifications area on the minibar. Notifications that arrive via email or text notifications, or in Brightspace Pulse push notifications, now provide a link to the Course Table of Contents with a message that states ‘Item not available’. Previously, clicking the link created a 404 Not Authorized error.
Question Library – Attach files in written response questions | New
When creating a written response question, instructors can now allow learners to upload files in their answers and include embedded images. Learners can also record audio or video responses when answering written response question types. Written response questions are available in surveys.
When grading a quiz, similar to the behavior in the Discussions tool, instructors can download and open these attachments in another tab.
When learners are reviewing their quiz submissions, if they are allowed to view their quiz responses, they can view their uploaded attachments.
The maximum file size for a single file or embedded image attached to a quiz response is set to 102400 KB (100MB). The maximum file size for all files attached or embedded in a single quiz question response is set to 102400 KB (100MB).
Quizzes – Quiz Builder becomes sole quiz creation method | Updated
The Quiz Builder configuration variable was reset to On in the July 2020/20.20.7 release. With the August 2020/20.20.8 release, the d2l.Tools.Quizzes.NewQuizBuilderExperience configuration variable is removed from Brightspace Learning Environment.
The Quiz Builder experience is an updated workflow within Quizzes for creating, importing, editing, deleting, and reordering questions, question pools, and sections within quizzes. All client sites now have the Quiz Builder experience enabled. The ability to opt-in or out of the new Quiz Builder is no longer available to instructors.
For additional information on the new Quiz Builder, visit the Community Blog post or watch the Create a New Quiz video from Brightspace Tutorials that details the features and functionality of the updated quizzing experience.
Quizzes – User experience updates for editing quizzes with attempts | New
To improve the user experience for instructors who edit quizzes with previous attempts by learners, the following updates have been made:
- Points for past quiz attempts are no longer modified when edits are made that affect the overall points and/or the grading calculations for a quiz. A learner’s grade on previous quiz attempts must now be changed directly by the instructor using the Update All Attempts workflow. Previously, the points for all past quiz attempts were modified automatically, which could alter a learner’s grade unexpectedly.
- Warning messages now appear when editing a quiz question with previous attempts to clearly communicate to instructors that editing quiz questions does not affect the content or automatically change the score of learners’ past attempts.