Release Notes for D2L Brightspace Updates Coming in November
Assignments, Discover, Intelligent Agents, Learning Groups, Learning Outcomes, Quick Eval, Quizzes, Video Note
Assignments – Improvements to Assignments | Updated
The Assignments page shows a count of new submissions and resubmissions in the New column, which you can opt-in /opt-out of displaying.
Assignments – Letter grading available | New
Grade Schemes can now be used by instructors to evaluate assignments by associating Selectbox Grade Items to an assignment. When grading an assignment through Assignments, Quick Eval, or Grades, the evaluator is shown a dropdown menu with the associated grade scheme levels. This feature functions identically for rubrics and numeric values as the previously existing Selectbox grade item type in the gradebook.
Any Selectbox grade item can now use an Organization level grade scheme, without having to copy the grade scheme into an individual course. This allows administrators to create centralized grade schemes for Selectbox grade items, and makes it easier for instructors to use those grade schemes in their courses. Grade Schemes have also been reordered so that the highest grade, rather than the lowest, defaults to the top of the list. API routes have been added to enable the creation of assignment Selectbox grade items.
Discover – Self-unenroll from courses | New
Learners that self-enrolled in courses using Discover can now self-unenroll from those courses.
From the navbar, click Discover and navigate to an enrolled course. From the (…) Options menu on the course page, click Unenroll.
Intelligent Agents – Email images and enrollment permission checks | New
This feature includes two changes to Intelligent Agents (IA):
- Users can now insert images directly into the body of intelligent agent emails using the Add Image button in the HTML editor. The images are attached to the email and shown in place when viewed in the recipient’s external mail client.
- New permission checks are now in place that limit assigning new enrollments using intelligent agents. Intelligent agent creators can no longer enroll users into a course they do not have enrollment permissions in or to a role they do not have permission to enroll. Previously, it was possible to assign a greater set of permissions than the intelligent agent creators themselves had the permissions to do. Now, when the user accesses the Change User Enrollments area, the New Role drop-down menu limits the Enroll options available to the IA creator. On save, the intelligent agent displays an error if the combination of course and enrollment selected are not permitted.
- A new Intelligent Agents permission called Use Agent Unenrollment Actions that controls whether the unenrollment option is available to the user. This permission is ON by default to replicate the current experience.
Learning Groups – Group tiles | New
The Learning Groups interface now displays group tiles that provide at-a-glance information about the members and course assignments of the group. Group tiles include the following details:
- Learning Group name
- Total number of group members, plus up to 3 profile images of individual group members
- Images of courses assigned to the learning group, if available. A maximum of 3 course images appear for groups with 3 or more courses assigned.
Learning Outcomes – Ability to create custom outcomes not in the ASN | New
To increase the value and the efficiency of Learning Outcomes, program administrators can create outcomes at the org level that are available to all courses. This removes the dependency on the Achievement Standards Network (ASN), and enables clients to have more stringent control over the wording of outcomes used within their institution.
Learning Outcomes – View assessment details on the Outcomes Progress Details page | New
To increase the value of the Outcomes Progress Details page, instructors and other instructor-type roles can now view feedback and submissions for assignments and discussion topics for individual learners. Previously, only some information about individual assessments appeared on the Outcomes Progress page, but not the full context of the assessment; with this change, a more complete view of the assessments is available on the Outcomes Progress page.
The page now links to a summary of the activity, the learner’s submission or demonstration of the activity, the assessment that an instructor has provided. The feedback page displays the following information (if it is available in Brightspace Learning Environment):
- Activity description
- Learner submission
- Rubric assessment
- Score achieved by the learner
- Start, due, and end dates
- Outcomes and levels achieved
- General feedback provided by the instructor or evaluator
Quick Eval – Improve consistency across supported tools | Updated
To improve consistency across tools in Quick Eval, the following updates are being released:
- When feedback on a quiz submission is saved as draft, a draft icon displays next to the quiz submissions in Quick Eval.
- In Activities view, the Publish All option is available for Quizzes.
Quizzes – Restore quiz attempts in the Quiz Attempt log | Update
When an instructor restores a learner’s deleted quiz attempt, note the following workflow changes:
- A deleted quiz attempt can only be restored if the learner does not have another quiz attempt in progress.
- The Restore button only appears for the latest deleted quiz attempt.
Quizzes – Save feedback as draft | New
Instructors can now clearly see when feedback is saved as a draft, or published, while evaluating quiz submissions. On the quiz evaluation page, the Graded (G) checkbox and Save button have been replaced by the Publish and Save Draft buttons.
Note: A new column is being added to the database table – QA. The first differential run now matches the full report run for Quiz Attempts Brightspace Data Set, and takes as long to run as a full report.
Quizzes – Set quiz options in Quiz Builder | New
The new Quiz Builder experience now allows instructors to set additional quiz options when creating quizzes. A More Actions button is visible when users select the checkbox for one or more questions; allowing instructors to set questions as mandatory or bonus directly from Quiz Builder, and change the number points assigned to a question or set of questions. There is no change in how the bonus, mandatory, or points features work.
Video Note – Migration to content service | New
Video Note now uses the Content Service, and its data is also maintained within Content Service. As a result, Video Note is able to publish videos to the Content Service, and removes both Flash-based recording options and the legacy usage reporting tool.
Video Note – Record Video workflow | Updated
Instructors are now able to attach pre-existing Video Notes in the Record Video workflow. Previously, when attaching a video in some workflows, users were only given the option to record a new video or upload a video from their computer.