Release Notes for D2L Brightspace Updates Coming in October
Brightspace Portfolio, Course Export, QuickEval, QuizBuilder, Quizzes
Brightspace Portfolio – Switch between viewing learners or evidence | New
To simplify navigation in Brightspace Portfolio and allow instructors to more easily manage their course portfolios, this release introduces a view toggle that offers easy switching between viewing all learners or all evidence from the same page. Previously, instructors viewed all learners on one page and then had to navigate to another page to view all evidence.
From the Portfolio landing page, instructors use the view toggle to view by Students (learners) or Evidence. Instructors can also view students or evidence in Tile or List format.
Course Export – Export course changes | New
This feature allows Brightspace Learning Environment administrators and instructors to export a course as an IMS Common Cartridge package or as a Thin Common Cartridge package. It also allows the Bulk Course Export tool to export a course as a Common Cartridge package.
Additional improvements in this feature include the following:
- A course in Brightspace can be exported as an IMS Common Cartridge 1.3 compliant package or an IMS Thin Common Cartridge 1.3 compliant package
- Brightspace now allows users to select Export as Common Cartridge using Import/Export/Copy Components
- Brightspace now allows users to select Export as Thin Common Cartridge using Import/Export/Copy Components
- Language Terms to describe Common Cartridge and Thin Common Cartridge exports are now visible.
- Bulk Course Export can now export a Common Cartridge package. A new optional column has been added to CSV that allows administrators to specify whether the bulk tool exports a Brightspace package or a Common Cartridge package
- The Bulk Course Export CSV now includes an optional column where a user can specify to export as a Brightspace package or as a Common Cartridge package
- The Bulk Course Export file naming convention now includes the course offering code to make files more identifiable
- When exporting a course using Import/Export/Copy Components, a new dialog box displays to inform users that their export is underway. A notification is generated in the navigation bar once the export package is ready for download. Users download the course package by opening the Export finished notification message
Quick Eval – User interface improvements | New
Quick Eval is now listed in the Course Admin page under the Assessment category when Quick Eval is turned on and the user has access to it
Quiz Builder – Question import improvements | New
This feature updates question importing options in Quiz Builder. When importing questions from Question Library, users can now use the default end of quiz location for the questions, or choose to import the questions into a section. Previously, all questions imported from the Question Library were placed at the end of the Quiz by default, with no ability to select a specific quiz section.
Quizzes – Editing quizzes with previous attempts | Updated
This feature updates the Quizzes – User experience updates for editing quizzes with attempts feature released in August 2020/20.20.8.
Points for all past quiz attempts are no longer modified when edits are made that affect the overall points and/or the grading calculations for a quiz. In the previous release, this update extended only to quizzes with attempts started after the June 2020/20.20.6 release. Now, all previous quizzes with attempts started before Brightspace Learning Environment version 20.20.6 will display the quiz and grading calculations that appeared to the learner at the exact time they made the attempt.