J.Y. Ellenburg - St. Elizabeth's Episcopal Church Scholarship

About

Janus Yentsch Ellenburg was a brilliant scientist and artist who was passionate about promoting education for women. She was one of those women who was creative as well as scientific. She graduated with a science degree from Western Maryland College and received a Ph.D. in Emission Spectroscopy. She lived most of her life in Birmingham, Alabama. She worked as a research scientist for National Aeronautics and Space Administration and was an accomplished artist. She was a juried signature member of the Watercolor Society of Alabama and of the Georgia Watercolor Society. She was also a juried artist of the Alabama Designer/Craftsmen and of the National League of American Pen Women. After her husband died, she moved to Knoxville, Tennessee, to be with family in the area. Members of the St. Elizabeth’s Church took her to church where she found friends and support. In gratitude, she bequeathed St. Elizabeth’s funds to support education for women in need. The J.Y. Ellenburg – St. Elizabeth’s Episcopal Church Scholarship, established in 2018, fulfills her wishes.

St. Elizabeth’s Episcopal Church was founded in 1984 and supports an active outreach program. Rather than give funds to organizations, the church chose to focus on having direct impact on a few groups including Vine Middle School. Over the years, St Elizabeth’s has provided school supplies, clothing and toiletries to Vine Middle School students. St. Elizabeth’s wishes to continue to support Vine Middle School female alumni through this scholarship.

The J.Y. Ellenburg – St. Elizabeth’s Episcopal Scholarship will be awarded to full-time students who are taking a minimum of 9 semester hours and maintain an overall grade point average of at least a 2.0. Preference will be given to female students who have attended Vine Middle School.  If none are available, the scholarship may be awarded to female students who have attended Austin-East or Fulton High School. 

Thus far, nine students have been awarded the scholarship for a total of $8,000 in assistance. 

Autumn Crocker, a 2018 recipient of the J.Y. Ellenburg – St. Elizabeth’s Episcopal Church Scholarship shared these words:

“I want to sincerely thank St. Elizabeth’s Episcopal Church for this scholarship. As a single mother who is in school full time, any additional help toward books and tuition are not only needed, but are a great blessing and allow me to further my education. Having the privilege to go to school helps me build a better future for myself and my son, and for that I am forever grateful.

Scholarships such as this one are the reason I am able to reach my goals, and for that I cannot thank you enough!”

We want to congratulate Autumn. She just graduated from the Pellissippi State Nursing Program!

We also wish to express our gratitude to St. Elizabeth’s Episcopal Church for their generous support of Pellissippi State students like Autumn!

Donate to the J.Y. Ellenburg - St. Elizabeth's Episcopal Church Scholarship