The Rotary Club of Maryville First-Generation Scholarship

About

Pictured above, Past President Justin Hall, Club Admin Chair, Beth Stubbs, PR Chair Carla Rafferty present $4,000 to Pellissippi State Community College President Dr. Anthony Wise to benefit 1st generation students in Blount County. #RotaryOpensOpportunities  #PeopleOfService

The Rotary Club of Maryville First-Generation Scholarship is the first of it’s kind at Pellissippi State.

The Rotary Club of Maryville was chartered by the Rotary Club of Alcoa in 1950 and has been in continuous existence. In 2012, the two clubs combined to form the Rotary Club of Maryville/ Alcoa. The club is now known as the Rotary Club of Maryville.

For approximately 20 years, the club has maintained a scholarship to assist local students with expenses at an institution of higher learning. The club recognizes the unique challenges that many first-generation students face. A first-generation student is defined as a student in which neither parent completed a college degree. These students face financial and other challenges related to the cycle of multi-generational poverty. The club wishes to change a person’s life through enabling them to have higher education when the opportunity is not normally available due to lack of financial resources and other challenges.

The scholarship is available to first-generation Blount County students who are enrolled in at least six hours, maintain a 2.5 GPA or higher and who have verifiable financial need.

I am sincerely honored to have been selected as a recipient of the Rotary Club of Maryville First Generation Scholarship. Thank you for your generosity which has allowed me to purchase text books with digital learning codes that I can utilize for study resources during my fall semester. As I complete my education at at Pellissippi State Community College, I am very thankful for receiving your thoughtful gift. Because of your scholarship, I will have multiple resources to benefit me on my journey to become a registered nurse. 

Thank you again for your generous and thoughtful gift! – Erin Ernst

The Rotary Club of Maryville First-Generation Scholarship.