Roy L. Bradley Memorial Scholarship

About

The Roy L. Bradley Memorial Scholarship was established by Jaynie Bradley Moore and R. Scott Moore in memory of her father. Roy Bradley. Mr. Bradley was born in Dungannon, Virginia in 1918. Forced by the Great Depression and the death of his father to abandon his own education in the eighth grade in order to help support his family, he became a Journeyman Carpenter and spent his career in the construction industry. Throughout his life, he valued education and learning and was an avid reader. After retirement, he continued to utilize his skills with wood to make furniture, cutting boards, nutcrackers, bookshelves, and paper towel holders, which he enjoyed giving to his friends and family. He passed away on March 16, 2003.

In order to qualify for consideration for the Roy L. Bradley Memorial Scholarship, a student must:

1)  Be full-time student with at least a 2.5 GPA working towards a certificate in construction business principles or a degree in civil engineering technology. If none are available, the scholarship may be awarded to any worthy student in a similar certificate or degree program.

2) Have completed or be enrolled in a Cost Estimating course.

3) Receive a written recommendation for the scholarship from his or her high school guidance counselor or college faculty advisor, teacher, or other recognized professional.

4) Demonstrate financial need.

Impact

It is the donor’s intent that one or more scholarships of $500 be awarded annually to a student meeting the eligibility requirements. 

“Thank you so much for awarding me the Roy L. Bradley Memorial Scholarship. Returning to school with two small children has been a difficult task. With my oldest starting first grade and my youngest in daycare, costs can be overwhelming at times. This scholarship will help me further achieve my goals.

I returned to school in the spring of 2020, which proved to have more challenges than expected. However, I stuck with it and finished both the spring and summer semesters with a 4.0 GPA. I am a Civil Engineering Major at Pellissippi State Community College with the intention of transferring to complete a Bachelor’s in Civil and Environmental Engineering. I have a long road ahead to reach my goals for my education. This award is an honor, and I could not be more grateful. Thank you so much”.  Shannon – 2020-21 Recipient of the Roy L. Bradley Memorial Scholarship

Donate to the Roy L. Bradley Memorial Scholarship