Pellissippi State Community College has recognized J. Travis Howerton as its Distinguished Alumni Award winner for 2018.
Howerton is the senior director for transformation at Bechtel Corporation in Oak Ridge. He graduated from Pellissippi State in 2002 with an A.A.S. degree in Computer Science Technology and went on to earn an M.S. in computer information systems from Boston University.
Howerton was recognized with the Pellissippi State’s Distinguished Alumni Award at the college’s annual Alumni Luncheon. The award is given to an individual in recognition of significant professional achievement, service to the community and support of the college and the Pellissippi State Foundation.
Two Pellissippi State employees nominated Howerton for this year’s award: Computer Information Technology Professor Jerry Sherrod and Marilyn Roddy, director of Major Gift Development. According to Roddy, Howerton helped execute a significant teaming agreement with Y-12 National Security Complex in support of the federal Department of Labor TechHire Partnerships grant.
For the past 10 years, Howerton has garnered over a dozen significant awards, locally and nationally. He was honored with the Rising Star Award in 2008 at Federal Computer Week, and the awards have rolled in steadily since. Other awards include
- 2017 Postma Young Professional Award by the East Tennessee Economic Council
- 2015 Excellence.gov Overall Winner by ACT-IAC
- 2014 Fed 100 Award by Federal Computer Week
- 2012 Top 40 Under 40 Business Leaders in East Tennessee by Knoxville Business Journal
- 2012 Secretary of Energy Management Achievement Award by Department of Energy Secretary
- 2012 DOE Enterprise Architecture Award by the Department of Energy
- 2012 Top Cyber Security Presentation Award by Government Technology Research Alliance
- 2009 NNSA Linton Brooks Award Winner by the National Nuclear Security Administration
Howerton also has written some 39 articles and publications since graduating from Pellissippi State.
For more information about Pellissippi State Alumni, visit www.pstcc.edu/alumni or call 865-539-7275.