PACE faculty fellow Rick Patton, developed the mnemonic device of “Putting on the A.R.M.O.R. of College Success” and these resources to help share the message. Addressing students about elements of college success in such a unified way will help first-year students to more quickly learn the hidden rules of college and will increase the likelihood that students will understand and meet expectations.
Attitude: The right mindset for success
Resources: You + Peers, On- and Off-Campus Assistance with academics, career exploration, technology, transportation, finances, disabilities, food security, mental health, healthy relationships, scholarships, etc.
- Additional transportation resources:
- Additional food security resource: Knoxville Food Pantries
- Additional healthy relationships resource: Family Justice Center
Course materials, time, study groups, goals, finances, etc.
Additional time organization resource: Time Management principles
Additional finances organization resource: Pellissippi State Financial Aid
Additional goals organization resource: Procrastination, Motivation & Goal Setting video
Download the digital ARMOR flier with links to helpful resources and put it in your Brightspace course!
Or print out one without links to hang in your classroom! You can also get the ARMOR flier in: Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Russian, Spanish and Swedish!
Related Resources on First-Year Experience
- GIFTs (Great Ideas for Teaching) See the GIFT repository.
- An International Perspective on Peer Education and Leadership / Best Practices in the FYE and Beyond (PPT presentation)
- An Evidence-Based Discussion of Integrating First- and Second- Year Transition Programs (PDF)
- Also check out the Library resources on the First-Year Experience.
- TRIO Student Support Services