- Briggs, Saga. “8 Alternatives to High Stakes Standardised Tests.” informED (2015). Retrieved 9/18/2020 from: https://www.opencolleges.edu.au/informed/features/8-alternatives-to-standardized-testing/
- Cockett, Andrea, and Carole Jackson. “The Use of Assessment Rubrics to Enhance Feedback in Higher Education: An Integrative Literature Review.” Nurse Education Today 69 (2018): 8-13.
- Hawley, Ruth, and Cate Allen. “Student-Generated Video Creation for Assessment: Can It Transform Assessment within Higher Education?” International Journal of Transformative Research 5, no. 1 (2018): 1-11.
- Paola Ricchiardi, and Federica Emanuel. “Soft Skill Assessment in Higher Education.” Journal of Educational, Cultural and Psychological Studies 2018, no. 18 (2018): 21-53.
- Rolim, Catarina, and Pedro Isaias. “Examining the Use of E‐assessment in Higher Education: Teachers and Students’ Viewpoints.” British Journal of Educational Technology 50, no. 4 (2019): 1785-800.
- Learning assessment techniques : a handbook for college faculty Barkley & Major (2016)
- Shaping the campus conversation on student learning and experience : activating the results of Assessment in Action Brown et al., eds. (2018)
- Assessment for excellence : the philosophy and practice of assessment and evaluation in higher education Astin & Antonio (2012) Also in print.
- Scaling up Assessment for Learning in Higher Education Carless, Bridges, Chan & Glofcheski (2017)
- Student Evaluation in Higher Education Reconceptualising the Student Voice Darwin (2016)
- The craft of college teaching : a practical guide DiYanni & Borst (2020)
- Higher Education Assessments: Leadership Matters Kramer et. Al. (2010)
- Assessment for Learning: Meeting the Challenge of Implementation Laveault & Allal (2016)
- Assessment in Music Education: from Policy to Practice Lebler, Carey & Harrison (2017)
- Survey of best practices in student assessment Primary Research Group (2015)
- Assessment for learning in higher education Sambell, McDowell & Montgomery (2013)
- Classroom assessment in action Shermis & Di Vesta (2011)
- Designing Assessment for Quality Learning Wyatt-Smith, Klenowski & Colbert (2014)
- Assessment…with a Touch of Class. Anonymous Buros Center for Testing, 2015. https://video.alexanderstreet.com/watch/assessment-with-a-touch-of-class.
- Ask Them. A series of 3 videos by educator, author, and speaker Myron Dueck.
· Assessment Skills Framework: article (Horst & Prendergast)
From PACE Archives
- The 5 Easy A’s of Assessment by Dr. Nancy Ramsey and Dr. Beth Norton (2018) – PPT slides
- What is Assessment by Dr. Beth Norton (in PACE newsletter, May 2019)
- Introduction to Assessment (2019 PSCC Inservice presentation by Hope Denny) – PPT slides
From TBR HIP Specialist
2019 In-service Breakout sessions
- Interpreting and Using Assessment Information – PPT slides from presentation by Hope Denny (2019 in-service breakout session)
- Assessment Made Easy – PPT slides from presentation by Dr. Jessica Belnap, Dr. More Herington and Lara Mechling. (2019 in-service breakout session)
- Course Alignment PPT slides from presentations by Dr. Antija Allen, Dr. Ron Bridges, Mark Fuentes – (2019 in-service breakout session)
- Rubrics and Assessment presentation (2019 in-service breakout session) – PPT slides from presentation by Linda Reeves and Dawn Roberts
- Assessment of Student Learning Outcomes (2019 in-service breakout session) – PPT slides from presentation by Christie Cunningham & Tracy Rees
Note: These videos are free for students, staff and faculty, but you must create an account. Contact Pace@pstcc.edu if you don’t have an account already. This subscription will be on-going until October 2021.
- How can I Use Microactivities to Engage Students and Improve Learning and Retention?
- How Can I Use Low-stakes Quizzing to Enhance Learning?
- How Can I Transform My Tests into Learning Tools?
- How Can I Make My Multiple Choice Tests More Effective?
- How Can I Make My Exams More Accessible?
- How Can I Make My Exams More about Learning, Less about Grades?
- Are Group Exams a Viable Testing Option?
- How Can Students Use Self-Compassion to Reduce Test Anxiety?
- What Key Factors Influence Test Performance?
- What Key Concepts Improve Student Learning and Memory?
- How Do I Create Ideal Assessments for Modern Learners?
- How Can Post Exam Reviews Become a Powerful Teaching Strategy?
- How Can Screencasted Feedback Enhance Student Comprehension?
[Reminder: PSTCC login to NISOD is: Username: pstcc.edu; PW: nisod332]
- Applying Sports Analogies to Assessment 3/10/2020
- Integrating Formative Assessment Practices 9/20/2018
- Low-Stakes Exams: Example of Strategy Assessment (4/5/2018)
- Assessment Advocate: An Attribute of Teaching Excellence and Educational “Hotness” (2/1/2018)
- Flipped Assessment: Revolutionize the Metacognition in Student Learning (11/2/2018)
- Is Fair Grading Futile? Evaluating and Rethinking Assessment (11/1/2016)
- Adding Fun to the Assessment of Learning Outcomes (4/30/2010)
- Video: Alternative Avenues for Non-Traditional Students: Finding Value in Prior Learning Assessment as a Faculty Member (5/8/2020)
- Video: Is Fair Grading Futile? Exploring a New Type of Assessment (11/10/2016)
Stanford’s Teaching Professor newsletter archives
- 1789 Diversity in Expectations of Quality and Assessment in Online Learning – Part 2 of 2 – The American Context
- 1788 Diversity in Expectations of Quality and Assessment in Online Learning – Part 1 of 2 – The Asian and European Context
- 1595 Assessments That Support Student Learning
- 1475 Homework as Assessment
- 1455 Planning Effective Assessment
- 1437 Seven Principles for Fostering Greater Use of Assessment Results
- 1373 The Psychology of Feedback and Assessment
- 1373 The Psychology of Feedback and Assessment
- 1274 Quantitative Assessment Methods
- 1199 Quantitative and Qualitative and Assessment Methods
- 929 The Online Course Assessment Gap
- 864 Parallel Journaling: Students and Teachers in a Classroom Assessment Experiment
- 719 Three Levels for General Education Assessment
- 467 Classroom Assessment Techniques (CATS)
- 448 Beyond Confusion: An Assessment Glossary
- 350 Peer Assessment