Dr. Laurel B. Cook, Natural and Behavioral Sciences

I have been an adjunct instructor of Human Anatomy and Physiology at Pellissippi State since 2016.  A native of East Tennessee (Chattanooga), I moved throughout the Southern U.S. with my family while growing up. I hold a DPM degree from Des Moines University and a BS in pre-med Biology from Columbus State University.  I completed a medical residency in Detroit, MI and worked in private practice as a board-certified podiatrist in the states of AR and TN, including my own practice in Alcoa, TN. I also hold Radiation Therapy certification by ARRT. 

At the heart of why I teach is my love for learning and the desire to share my passion for education with students pursuing degrees in health sciences. Having worked in the healthcare field allows me to contribute anecdotal examples, pearls of workforce wisdom, as well as humor, and I believe students become engaged in learning when they can see the relevance of course material to everyday applications. I also believe in the importance of building relationships and supporting others within the college community. This has led me to enjoy great comradery with other faculty, grow professionally, and serve others in the college’s Faculty Senate as an adjunct faculty representative.

I reside in Knoxville with my husband, Brad. Our son, Grant, is a recent graduate of the University of Oklahoma. Both parents are graduates of Tennessee Wesleyan and the University of Tennessee Knoxville.

Image