Dr. Antija Allen, PACE Faculty Fellow compiled these resources. Please contact Dr. Allen for OER Search or Adoption assistance.
SPARC (the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition) next Open Education Leadership cohort application. Deadline is May 28th. After a successful experience with the 2020-2021 cohort, SPARC is continuing with our expanded eligibility to apply for the program to all academic professionals with open education responsibilities including instructional designers, project coordinators, and other related roles. Additionally, in response to the budget pressures institutions are facing due to COVID-19, SPARC has locked tuition rates to the 2020-2021 rate. SPARC is also making additional tuition discounts available through the application process.
Why use OER?
Not sure about Open Education Resources? Unsure if the benefits outweigh the effort? Check out this article by an instructor who had the same questions, “Going All in on OER” by Jackie Hoermann-Elliott, PhD in the March 17, 2021 Faculty Focus.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- OER community of practice email group / listserv / forum
- It’s time for Open Educational Resources (Inside Higher Ed)
Creative Commons Licenses
This license lets others distribute, remix, adapt, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered. Recommended for maximum dissemination and use of licensed materials. See an example of a Creative Commons license with attribution on this Sociology textbook (scroll to the bottom).
Selection and Evaluation
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI)
- Improving Representation and Diversity in OER Materials
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) resources
OER and Distance Learning
In addition to the searchable repositories below, here’s a 49 page listing of OER sources on the internet.
Discipline Specific OERs
If you use OERs in your course, consider adding some course evaluation questions about your OER usage. Here are suggested course evaluation questions regarding OER usage.
African American Literature
- Course Readings for African American Literature course
- OER Commons search results for African American Literature
- OpenOregon resources for ESOL
- OER Commons resources for ESOL
- Read Faster, Understand More: Advanced Academic Reading Skills for English Language Learners, Compiled by Timothy Krause
- Portland Community College developed short story workbooks for ESOL students
- “Writing an MLA Essay” video series for ESOL students produced by Professor Kate O’Meara
Other English OERs
- Potential OER for Music – applied music, piano, and ensembles & articles about music education in online environment
- General Skills Videos (Some of the videos have broken links when tested, but the others may be helpful)
- Head to Toe Assessment
- Blood pressure videos
- Video Teaching Resources | School of Nursing and Midwifery | Queen’s University Belfast
- Narrated video shorts of essential general clinical nursing skills including PPE use, obtaining vital signs, therapeutic communication and injury prevention.
Other Nursing resources
- This is a really long and detailed spreadsheet of tons of nursing resources.